From the moment our teeth break the surface of our gums, they are bombarded with bacteria that seek to damage them. Over time, the bacteria can form a thin layer across our teeth called plaque. Plaque does not play fair and uses our own medicines against us. The food we eat to sustain our bodies can contain ingredients that plaque uses to break down into harmful acids which are then used to attack our teeth enamel, causing cavities.
Fight back against cavities with excellent oral health care. Here are some tips to use:
– Eat nutritious foods and try to avoid snacking before and after meals.
– Visit your dentists at Ultimate Smile Dental during your scheduled checkups for oral inspections and professional cleanings.
– Floss every day with ADA-approved dental floss or an approved dental flossing instrument.
– Use additional cleaning procedures, such as mouthwash, to wash away food particles and harmful bacteria.
– Brush your teeth and gums at least twice daily with ADA-approved toothpaste and a comfortable properly-sized toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be converted into detrimental acids in your mouth that can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the creation of saliva, which can fight cavities.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing better brushing and flossing approaches.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Wagner and Dr. Heider, please call our office at 954-566-5428. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Your smile deserves the finest of care, and we can gladly provide it.